Sunday, November 1, 2015

BBQ Pork Spare Ribs

My maternal Grandmother is nearing her 100th birthday. I can remember when we celebrated her 90th birthday will a family gathering with favorite foods and of course lots of pictures from her life. While there were many dishes and treats that her children and grandchildren like me made to remember her the main dish and my favorite were these barbecue pork spare ribs.
They are made with country style pork ribs that cook slowly in the rich and savory sauce. They were produced in mass for the party and I remember a huge (read I have never seen such a big) crock pot
/warmer. The meat was so tender that as I tried to coax a rib onto my plate the part I was not grabbing with my tongs would slow motion separate and I would have to dig around for more.
The cloves are what make the sauce so different from other sauces and I love to take the extra sauce and spoon it over a baked potato.
If my last grandparent Grandma Lindberg makes it to 100 I will petition for these to be served 




Grandma Lindberg's BBQ Pork Spare Ribs

2 lb country style spareribs
1 Tbsp shortening
2 Tbsp flour
2 Tbsp mustard
1/4 Cup onion, minced
1/2 tsp cloves
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Cup juice from canned fruit, any kind
1 Cup ketchup


1. Heat the shortening in a skillet. Pat the meat dry. Brown spareribs on all sides in the shortening.
2. Mix the remaining ingredients. Pour over meat into a baking dish.
3. Bake cover with foil at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Remove the foil for the last 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment